Kathak, an Indian Classical Dance form, is the culmination of years of varied cultural influences on the art that emanated from the story-tellers of the ancient temples.
Kathak contains traces of temple and ritual dances, along with certain features of Persian and Central Asian dances. Intricate footwork and spins, as well as abhinaya, the art of expression, are the highlights of Kathak.
The name Kathak is derived from the Sanskrit word katha meaning story.
Tāl: Rhythmic time-cycle.
Mātrā: Beat, Unit of measuring duration of a Tāl
Ᾱvartan: One cycle of a Tāl
Sam: The first beat of a Tāl
Vibhāg: The divisions of a Tāl
Tāli: literally: ‘clap’. Used to show the accented beat in a Tāl.
Khāli: literally: ‘empty’. A blank beat, negative accent in a Tāl.
Tablā: A percussion instrument often used as an accompaniment to Kathak dance. It is comprised of two drums.
Bol: A Bol is a sound or syllable. Helps identify and recite rhythms.
Thekā: Thekā is the Tablā bol for a Tāl.
Laya: Laya means tempo. Duration between beats determines Laya of a Tāl or a Tāl based composition.
Tatkār: Dance syllables produced from stomping. Basic footwork for a Tāl.
Parhant: Recitation of bols of a composition indicating beats of a Tāl.
Torā: A group of bols or syllables that starts and ends on sam.
Kavitt: A Torā based on a poem. It is composed of bols that have meaning.
Tihāi: A rhythmic pattern that repeats three times.
Lari: A chain of footwork patterns, ends with a tihāi
Chakkar/ Pheri: literally: spin. The Chakkar in Kathak is performed on the heel.
KATHAK QUIZ - OCT 2018
FILL IN THE BLANKS
(1) Dhamār is made up of ____ matras.
(2) The ________ written by Nandikeshvara, is an ancient Indian treatise on the performing arts.
(3) ‘Rangmanch Puja’ means _________ .
(4,5) List any two Guru/ practitioners of the Jaipur Gharānā _________ and ___________
(6) Sam of a Tāl is shown with this symbol in Bhātkhande Tāl Lipi __________
(7) Complete the following line of the Nātya Kramah —> Yatho Dhrishti, Tatho __________
(8) Stylized walk in Kathak repertoire is known as ________________
(9) _____ is a composition type in which a rhythmic pattern repeat three times and end on sam.
(10) ___________________ is the melody representing the Tāl that repeats again and again
MONTHLY QUIZ ANSWERS